I think that my final product looks a lot more professional than my preliminary task. I think this is because I was able to research magazines already on the market and look at the conventions that they used, before creating my product. I tried my best to meet all of the needs and requests that my target audience had, and made it appeal to them as much as possible. I also learnt that barcodes and price tags should be placed somewhere so that they don’t take over the whole front cover, they should be subtle, as they are essential but are not a selling point. One of the main reasons for my work improving is that I had a lot longer to work on this project than I did on my preliminary task this meant I was continuously able to look back over my work and change anything I was unhappy with, this also enabled me to develop me Photoshop skills and discover and use a variety of the tools on it to adjust images and add effects to text. In my opinion, my preliminary cover is plain, does not stand out or catch the reader’s attention whereas my final product does. My final product had to have broader commercial appeal, and look like it could appear on the shelves of large retailers such as WHSmith, as well as smaller businesses, next to magazines such as ‘Q’ and ‘Kerrang!’.
Preliminary task- Front cover